Get 35% OFF Today—Chewy.com Limited Time—35% OFF + Free Shipping—Chewy.com
Chihuahua Pregnancy, Daily Calendar, Gestation, Earliest Possible Signs
Read our top tips on how to spot the first & earliest possible signs symptoms of pregnancy in your dog & the different stages of pregnancy development…The gestation period in a canine varies from breed to breed but in a Chihuahua it lasts about 58-66 days. Consequently it is important and will help you and your dog if you record a daily pregnancy calender for your pooch. There are also certain foods to avoid when pregnant and this is no different for your dog so remember to provided a healthy diet for your dog…but more on that later!
- A pregnant Chihuahua can be a difficult time for your dog due mainly to the fact that they are liable to suffer from complications due to inbreeding.
- Breeding Chihuahuas and looking after one that is pregnant is notoriously difficult and should only really be attempted by very experienced dog breeders.
- This breed often have complications when giving birth and have been known to die when whelping puppies.
- It is also very important that you keep a close eye on your dog when she is pregnant as any tit-bits and bad food will also affect the puppies in the belly.
- Your dog will also eat more food when she is pregnant so it is important that you feed her the right amount – it is also a good idea to purchase some dog food that is specifically made for pregnant dogs
- You will need to be financially ready for your pregnant dog as you will undoubtedly need to take her to the vet more often. Your vet will also need to check that the puppies are developing properly before and after the birth.
- If you are not experienced in breeding dogs it is a good idea to have your vet present when your dog is giving birth as all sorts of complications may occur. It’s better to be safe than sorry
- Make sure that you have provided a clean and hygienic environment for your dog to give birth in.
- It is important that you keep the dad away from the mother and puppies after the birth.
- During the Chihuahua pregnancy make sure that she is handled properly as she is fragile (even when not pregnant). Make sure that any young children are supervised when handling her.
Go from chihuahua pregnancy back to best dog breeds or back to dog obedience training home-page