Puppy Diarrhea, Dog Diarrhea Cures, Foods that Cause Diarrhea
Puppy Diarrhea and the causes of chronic diarrhea in dogs…
On this page we have provided some dog diarrhea cures, advice on the foods that cause diarrhea and information on how to stop different types of diarrhea especially after your dog or puppy has been eating..
Obviously this condition may be due to other underlying reasons and symptoms of a more serious illness.
Consequently we have provided information on its treatment and diagnosis so you can learn how to stop this very upsetting problem.
Causes of Dog & Puppy Diarrhea
- A virus and viral infections are quite a common cause of diarrhea in dogs and puppies – although not normally serious its always best to get a vet’s advice. It is normally just a case of making sure that your dog or puppy gets lots of fluids and does not become dehydrated
- Although most viral infections are not normally serious – serious virus’s like parvovirus which will often cause a yellowish diarrhea that may also have blood in it. To prevent your dog or puppy getting parvovirus your puppy should be vaccinated and have annual boosters.
- Parasitic infections including Whip worm, Roundworm and Ringworm can cause puppy diarrhea. If you think that your puppy has a parasitic infection take him to the vet with a stool sample. Parasitic infections can be treated quite effectively with medications.
- Stress is another cause of diarrhea in dogs and puppies – this can be a reaction to a change in their environment or surroundings or even if strange visitors or people stay over the night or visit.
- It is not uncommon for allergies in dogs and puppies to cause diarrhea. Give your dog a basic diet of chicken and rice if your dog gets the runs. See the recipe below.
Chicken & Rice Recipe for Diarrhea
- 1/2 cup of cooked rice
- 1/2 cup of cooked ground chicken
- Cook the 1/2 cup of rice and place in a bowl for it to cool.
- Now cook the cup of unseasoned chicken and drain any fat.
- Now add the rice and chicken together and mix
- Now feed this recipe to your dog or puppy and keep him on this diet for 2-3 days until the diarrhea has stopped.
Some Puppy & Dog Diarrhea Cures
Natural Puppy & Dog Diarrhea Cures…
- Licorice – Glycyrrhiza glabra – is a great natural tonic to line your dogs digestive tract – it is also good for your dog’s or puppy’s bladder, kidney and intestines.
- Marshmallow – Althaea Officnalis – is great to sooth the digestive tract, this is achieved by soothing the mucus membranes in the digestive tract.
- Slippery Elm – Ulnus Fulva – has lots of trace minerals to improve and support your dog’s or puppy’s digestive tract.
- Psyllium Grains – Psyllium grains are a great addition to your puppy’s food – this grain is a soluble fiber which is great at absorbing and retaining moisture – great for puppy diarrhea and also constipation in dogs.
- Probiotics & Prebiotics – Sometimes Vet’s prescribe probiotics or prebiotics to ease diarrhea in dogs and puppies.
- More conventional treatments for diarrhea in dogs and puppies may be prescribed by your Vet including Motility Modifiers – these drugs help to decrease or increase the movement of food passing through the intestines.
- 2 tsp of dried chamomile herb.
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 pint of boiling water.
- Put the herbs in the boiling water and allow to steep.
- Now strain the boiling water and herbs though a cheese cloth.
- Now add the salt.
- Give 2/3 tsp 3 times a day.
Homeopathic treatments for dog and puppy diarrhea may include…
- Nux Vomica
- Arsenic Trioxide
We hope you have found our guide to puppy and dog diarrhea useful but please don’t use it as a diagnostic tool and always seek advice from your Vet before using any treatments.