Puppy Pad Training, Housebreaking a Puppy, Housebreaking a Dog
Puppy pad training is a popular puppy obedience technique for housebreaking puppies and dogs.
House training a puppy and dog using puppy pads is basically training a puppy to potty in a particular part of the House, in a gradual way using scented puppy pads that encourage a puppy to potty on them.
Using puppy pads does not suit everyone and in my opinion it isnormally best to train your puppy to potty outside.
The reason for this is if you are using puppy pads – it is teaching your puppy that it is ok to potty inside.
Consequently it may confuse your puppy and make house training more diffiicult – however this is not always the case and puppy training pads can be a great training tool if you live in a flat without a garden or have no instantaccess to the great outdoors.
Your success really depends on how patient and consistent you are as the owner andtrainer.
If you would like a step by step guide on how to train a puppy using puppy pads, then check out our section on puppy pads training.
What is Puppy Pad Training
Puppy Training Pads.
Using puppy pads is training your young puppy to potty in a specific area where you have placed the pads training puppy pads are often used when your puppy is unable to potty outside whether this is because you don’t have a garden or live in a flat – they are also used as a dog training tool and device – explained below.
How do the pads work?
- Puppy training pads have a specific odour that encourages your puppy to pee on them and only them – these odours are known as attractants and your puppy will want to eliminate on the odour and subsequently on the pad.
- They are used as a way to train a puppy to potty outside. This is done by gradually moving the pads closer and closer to the back door until they are actually outside and then their is no need to use the pads.
Puppy Pad Training – Step by Step
You need to expect that your puppy is going to have some accidents in the House – and using puppy training pads is a great way to stop your puppy from soiling on your brand new carpet – below are some step by step puppy pad training ‘top tips.’
1. It is important that you keep the training pads in the same part of the House – so that your puppy knows exactly where to potty.
2. If you notice the signs that your puppy wants to toilet, may be he is whining or pawing the ground – pick him up and place him on the pads.
3. It is very common for a young puppy to want to potty soon after eating – so place your puppy on one of the training pads a few minutes after eating or drinking.
4. Always heap lots of praise on your puppy when he has toileted on his training pads – and give him a treat.
5. Expect some accidents to happen – just repeat ‘no’ to your puppy if you catch him soiling the carpet and place him on his puppy pads.
6. Although some people choose to use paper to train their puppy – they use the same principle as training pads but don’t have an odour. As the trainer you start to move the paper closer to the door until they are outside.
The problem with using paper is that your puppy won’t know the difference between the Newspaper open at the sports section on the floor and your ‘potty paper’. So before you know it you are reading a very damp and smelly Newspaper. After a period of time just like the ‘pre-treated’ training pads they are ultimately removed altogether at the point your puppy is toileting outside.
7. Anyway back to puppy pad training (using pre-treated pads) – these pads are treated with a chemical that stimulates your puppy to want to pee. As soon as you notice that your puppy is doing the ‘potty dance’ when he is about to potty – you pick your puppy up, place him on the pads and then follow the guide above.
The use of puppy training pads can be an effective house training tool. Although we always feel that it is better to train your puppy where to potty by taking your pooch outside on a leash and going through the whole process – sometimes this just isn’t possible and owners have to use whatever tools they have. For this reason training pads can work well and be very effective.