Home Made Dog Food Recipe, How to Make Dog Food, Making your Own Dog Food
In this section you will discover the benefits of a home made dog food recipe using healthy homemade dog food and whether making your own dog food is the best choice for you and your pooch.
Many owners undoubtedly started to make there own dog food since the melamine contamination of pet foods back in 2007 and throughout this page we will discuss some of the benefits and problems associated with a home made dog food recipe.
Home Made Dog Food Recipe
A dog is what he eats!
It is important to remember that you are what you eat and it’s no different for your dog or puppy.
It really is common sense if you feed your dog lots of rubbish his behavior and overall health will undoubtedly be effected.
If humans eat lots of food that isn’t nutritionally balanced and fail to consume the vitamins and minerals essential to a healthy body we may..
- Put on weight
- Get bad teeth,
- Lose our stamina
- Develop stomach problems
- Bad digestion, constipation
- Become depressed
- Have bad skin
- Basically our overall health can be badly effected -and you guessed it – its exactly the same for your pooch, so he needs to be fed the right diet.
Of course we like to have the occasional treat and it should be no different for your dog, but remember a healthy body normally always leads to a healthy mind.
If you take the time to study a little bit about dog nutrition and how to make dog food you will soon discover that not all dog food is the same.
The best way to test this theory is to take a quick look at your local supermarkets mix of dog foods. Read the labels on the back and check out all the different ingredients that each food contains.
A good example of this would be ‘chicken’. A dog food tin may say that it contains chicken but there is a massive difference between what is real chicken and chicken byproducts.
Chicken is chicken and byproducts can be anything from legs and beaks to other parts of the bird that you may never have even heard of.
This is the benefit of a home made dog food recipe as you are in charge of adding what you want your dog to eat and leaving out any ingredients that you consider unsavory.
Many dog foods that have been mass produced may also contain lots of sweeteners, preservatives and other additives that may make your dog behave differently.
Remember sweeteners are not good for your kids as it can make them less able to concentrate and may make them hyperactive – its the same for your dog, which isn’t good if you want him to concentrate on a strict dog training program.
This is another benefit to a homemade dog food recipe as you can leave out all of these added or ‘extra’ ingredients that will not do your dog any good at all!
However, as long as you don’t do it too often there is no reason why you cant give your pooch a dog biscuit now and again to reward good behavior.
Try This Home Made Dog Food Recipe
- Five or six chicken breasts or thighs
- 3 carrots
- 1 celery
- 3 small white potatoes – make sure that they have been peeled, and cut.
- 2 cups of brown or white rice.
Follow the below guide on how to cook this excellent home made dog food recipe.
- Put the chicken thighs or breasts in a sauce pan.
- Cover the chicken with water until the water is just covering the chicken.
- Now add the celery, white potatoes and carrots and leave on a low or medium heat for about 2-3 hours.
- Now it’s time to add the rice and leave for about 30-40 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the water.
- Remove the pan from the heat and if you have used chicken thighs remove them from the sauce pan.
- Remove all the chicken from the bones and put the chicken back into the saucepan with the other ingredients.
- Make sure that you have not put any bones in the sauce pan.
- Stir the ingredients together
- Remove form the heat, freeze or serve up
- Watch your dog lick the bowl clean!