My morkie poo who is 4 months old I got him a month ago and he stays outside all day long and he comes in and pees and then when he goes to bed he pees and poops in his bed? What do I do?
by Tinicia massey
(Edmonton, Ab,Canada )
Maltese Yorkie Mix – My morkie poo who is 4 months old I got him a month ago and he stays outside all day long and he comes in and pees and then when he goes to bed he pees and poops in his bed? What do I do?
[hana-code-insert name=’Doggy Dan’ /]
Hi and thanks for your question. The problem that you are explaining is basically your Morkie just doesn’t understand why he is outside. It’s like having a new born puppy and then letting him sit outside – he just won’t understand the reason for being outside – and as soon as you let him inside he won’t be able to distinguish between the new carpet, sofa or bed. It’s always a good idea to keep a puppy inside especially one so young – he needs to be around the pack i.e. your family otherwise he will pick up all sorts of behavioral problems. So I would advise that you start the puppy potty training by…
1. Keeping him inside and use the puppy potty training techniques that we promote. So start by attaching a leash to your puppy and saying ‘potty time’ and taking him outside.
2. Give him an allotted time to pee or poop – take him to the same area to pee or poop each time as the smells will encourage him to do his business there.
3. As soon as he is about to pee or poop say ‘go poop’ and when he is done give him lots and lots of praise and take him back inside (you could even have some play time as this will encourage your puppy to do his business more quickly knowing that he will get some play time).
4. If he does not potty in the 15 minutes you give him take him back inside and either place him in the crate for a few minutes or use the umbilical chord method – this involves attaching a leash to your puppy and then tucking the end in your trousers. This means that anywhere you g your puppy will follow – so you can catch any accidents as they are about to happen. If your puppy is about to potty in the House when he is on the umbilical leash – say ‘potty time’ and follow the techniques highlighted above.
5. Place some bedding in the crate and some bedding near the family make sure the crate is not too big. When your puppy is completely house trained you can start trusting him around the House.
Hope this helps.
[hana-code-insert name=’Bottom Ad’ /]