Puppy Obedience Training – My puppy won't come to me when I call her
When we first got her, a yorkie, she was 8 weeks old and after three days she would come running to me when I called her name…Now when I call her, she comes but stays far enough away that I cant touch her. She never comes to me anymore.. she is now 7 months old. It’s kind of disheartening…what can I do?
Hi and thanks for your question. The first thing that you need to do is to make your puppy want to come to you – she thinks you are playing.
1. Start by attaching an adjustable leash to her and walk a few feet away – there needs to be distance between you and your dog.
2. Purchase some really nice treats – ones that your puppy loves – this will increase the chances of her coming to you.
3. Now crouch down on your knees, open your arms in a welcoming manner and call her towards you – use a rising inflection in your voice – so say ‘Come’ – if she ignores you then give the leash a little flick to remind her what you want.
4. Now call her again and when she starts coming continue to welcome her – so say ‘come on…thats a good girl…keep coming’ have a big smile on your face.
5. When she gets to you give her lots of praise and a treat.
Hope this helps!