Best Dog Breed For Children, Best Dog Breeds, Choosing a Dog for Family
In this section we discuss the best dog breed for children and have provided the top 10 of the best dog breeds to have around kids.
Choosing a dog breed is not always an easy task and choosing the right dog or puppy for family and kids needs some research.
Below are what we consider the top 5 of the best dog breeds that we discussed in our section on choosing a dog for family. Here we have gone into slightly more detail regarding each breed.
Best Dog Breed for Children
Here we have gone into slightly more detail regarding each breed.
- Golden Retriever – A very energetic breed of dog and one of the best dog breeds to have around a family of young children as they have lots of energy are very loyal and loving and quite easy to train. Golden Retrievers are fantastic rescue dogs and very good around children
- West Highland Terrier – This breed of dog is not a boring dog and will keep you busy.
One of the best dog breeds to have in a Flat as long as they get lots of exercise.
Although these dog breeds can bark at noises they are fantastic around children who are slightly older.
However, we would not recommend this dog breed for children under 10 years of age as they can lack tolerance. But they are not known to have problems around other dogs.
- Irish Setter – This is a gundog and is naturally bred to retrieve game.
They have lots of energy and can sometimes be a little bit wild. However, this breed is still one of our favorites and a fantastic breed of dog.
They are one of the best dog breeds for children and families as they are so easy to please and have lots of enthusiasm, and are devoted and very loyal.
They do however have a coat that is easy to grab – and needs some grooming.
- Schnauzer – This dog loves to be around the family and were initially bred to be working dogs.
They like lots of exercise and need some grooming.
This is a family dog that needs and loves to be around children and with a tight family unit.
Although this is number 4 – we would have given it a higher rating and could have been the best dog breed for children but it does need lots and lots of exercise.
The Schnauzer can make an excellent guard dog if properly and expertly trained
- Labrador Retriever – It is a pleasure to live with this dog, and they are not a bore. This dog has lots of energy and does need lots of exercise.
They love water and kids and have little problems around other dogs, they can become utterly devoted to the family.
- Poodle – There are actually three types of poodle, Standard Poodles that can grow to about 24 inches high: Miniature Poodles are slightly smaller and Toy Poodles only grow to about 12 inches high.
Poodles are very energetic and quite spirited intelligent and keen to learn. They love attention and are a keen family dog.
- Bichon Frise – This breed of dog grows to about 12 inches, very attentive, keen to learn and utterly devoted to the family and children.
- Airedale – This breed of dog is often known as the ‘King of Terriers’.
They grow to about 23 inches and is quite a big dog for small children although they do get along with children very well.
Although they have qualities of a watch dog they don’t bark without a good reason.
- Basset Hound – This is a very peaceful dog and is very calm, although they are known to be stubborn. Another great dog to have around children.
- Beagle – One of the best dog breeds in terms of intelligence, but can be quite stubborn. Another great dog to have around a family and children.
Hope you found this second section on the best dog breed for children. In our next page we will be discussing the best dog breeds for children and the family from number 11 – 20.