About The Shih Tzu Poodle Mix Dog Breed
The Shih Tzu Poodle Mix which is also known as the Shih-poo, Poo Shih or Poo-shi is not surprisingly a mixture between a Shi Tzu and Poodle.
Due to the mixture of genes this hybrid can take individual characteristics from both parents – sometimes more characteristics from the mother or more from the father.
The most common characteristic that this cute type of dog will inherit is for the offspring to have a long coat that can either be straight (inherited from the Pekingeses genes) or wavy and curly (inherited from the Poodle genes). The colours can also vary widely with a combination of different colors possible.
We have gone into much more detail below and also provided a few pictures and facts about the the Bichon Shih Tzu and also the very cute and popular Teacup Shih Tzu Puppies…
Quick Facts About The Shih Tzu Poodle Mix
- The Shih Tzu Poodle mix is a very friendly and lovable dog which is good around the family and also around children (although you will always need to closely supervise any contact).
- This popular mixed breed are also considered relatively intelligent and have a reasonably calm and even temperament. They will respond well to obedience training if it is consistent, fair and reinforced through reward based training techniques.
- As previously mentioned as this mixed breed are so good around the family and love the attention, they can sometimes be problematic when left for long periods of time on their own. Consequently, if you work long hours or are away for lengths of time then this dog may not be the best dog breed for you.
- Due to the fact that the Shih Tzu Poodle mix are not great when left alone – holidays away may be a problem – mainly because this mix may not respond well to being left in kennels.
- Obedience training should be started from the moment you first take your new puppy home as this mixed breed can develop problem barking so you will need to know/learn how to control the barking or stop it if it develops.
- This mixed breed are great for people who have not owned a dog before mainly because they are intelligent and very eager to learn.
- As with all new dog or puppies entering the home for the first time – start socialization immediately. Introduce your dog or puppy to other animals, people, cars, traffic, buses. people in different uniforms, people wearing hats, males, females, basically the more you socialize your dog the less behavior problems your pooch will exhibit when introduced to new experiences.
- The Shih Tzu Poodle mix are also great for people with allergies because their coat doesn’t shed and are considered hypo-allergenic.
- The typical Shih-Poo will grow to a weight of about 13-20 pounds but this can vary from dog to dog.
- Grooming is relatively easy – you can keep the coat long or cut it short. Regular grooming is important not only to help keep your dog’s coat and nails in good order but it also helps you to increase your bond and help you to spot any health problems before they become too serious (fleas, ticks, dry skin etc).
- Due to the fact that the Shih-Poo is not a fill or pure breed the mix is not recognized by the American Canine Hybrid Club.
- The mixed breed love to be around the family and the center of attention as they do need allot of love and affection – a great dog for older people who live alone.
- Although you can train your dog not to bark – if you take on an older dog that barks they can make excellent guard dogs for this reason.
- The Shih Tzu breed can have breathing problems due to their short muzzle – however most Shih-poos have a longer muzzle so this problem is alleviated. If a short muzzle has been inherited by your dog breathing problems may become an issue (although this is debated by some experts).
- Due to their short stature this mix don’t need lots of exercise so they are a great dog to own if you live in a flat or apartment. However, regular exercise is a great way of increasing your bond and strengthening your relationship and a recognized and fantastic method to use to train your dog.
- This mix is a fab dog to own not only do you get the intelligence of the Poodle but you get the loving nature of the Shih Tzu breed.
The Bichon Shih tzu
Teacup Shih tzu Puppies
The Bichon Shih Tzu and miniature Shih Tzu are fast becoming the must have dogs to own. Miniature Shih Tzu puppies as you can see from the pictures above are unbelievably cute – probably one of the cutest puppies you will ever see and the Bichon Shih Tzu are also fabulously cute. This mix (between the Bichon Frise and the Shih Tzu) are extremely loving and love to be around the family – so they will need lots of love and attention. They also don’t like to be left for periods of time on their own so not the best dog to own if you work away or live alone. They are naturally very balanced, easy to maintain and are growing in popularity all the time.