Dog Diarrhea Cures, Foods that Cause Diarrhea, How to Stop Diarrhea
The Best Dog Diarrhea Cures
Dog diarrhea cures for your beloved pooch… Learn how to stop all types of diarrhea in dogs and puppies whether it’s after eating or due to allergies, diet, distemper or something else. Learn what foods cause diarrhea in dogs and how to start treating it in your dog or puppy with a great selection of conventional and alternative treatments.
How to Stop Diarrhea in Dogs
Our Top Dog Diarrhea Cures Step by Step
We are asuming that you have sought advice from a vet first and discussed a course of action as your vet may diagnose a more serious condition or may need to treat the diarrhea motility modifiers which are often used to help increase the movement and passage through the intestines – however as with all treatments there are side effects.
If the condition is not serious and you have discussed it with the vet the following steps should be considered.
Conventional Dog Diarrhea Cures & Treatments
- Start by fasting your dog for one day as this will help to ease the gastrointestinal tract.
- Start feeding your dog the diet of chicken and rice that we have provided below – give your dog small amounts every four hours.
- The condition will cause your dog to become dehydrated so make sure that he is getting lots of fresh water.
- Prepare a meal of vegtables mixed with rice and meat – this broth will replace any water, sodium and potassium.
- Try feeding your dog pureed pumpkin as this can often cure diarrhea in dogs in a few hours – give a few tablespoons.
- Now start feeding your dog some of the bland ingredients shown below i.e. boiled chicken, cottage cheese or scrambled egg.
- You could give your dog some plain yogurt as they can contain probiotics or prebiotics which is the healthy bacteria considered very good for your dog’s tummy.
- Dog’s can also be given small amounts of Pepto Bismol every six hrs but again consult your vet.
Homeopathic vets may prescribe some of the following to be used as more alternative dog diarrhea cures.
- Nux vomica
- Slippery elm
The Foods that Cause Diarrhea in Dogs
Below are listed some of the foods that cause diarrhea in dogs…
- Tyramine (this is a chemical that that can cause the condition and is found in mistletoe).
- Fatty foods
- Sugary food
- Milk and dairy products
- Processed food that has lots of additives
- Cheap dog food
- Moldy food that has been retrieved from the garbage
Below is a quick video that shows some of the secret ingredients in dog food that may cause diarrhea and other problems in dogs.
More Top Dietary Dog Diarrhea Cures
If you are aiming to cure this condition in your dog through dietary changes your ultimate aim is to get your dog to absorb the most amount of nutrients possible from his diet. You can achieve this through giving your dog a basic and quite simple diet. We recommend chicken, rice, wheat, rabbit or venison as they are all rich in protein.
Below is a basic chicken diet recipe.
- 1/2 a cup of cooked rice
- 1/2 cup of chicken
- Start by cooking the rice then make sure you drain away any excess fat – now mix the cooked rice and chicken in a bowl before feeding to your dog.
More Dietary Tips…
- We don’t recommend feeding your dog lamb as it is present in so many dog foods that you can buy over the counter. Fish is a good choice as isn’t in allot of dog food and is a great addition to your dog’s diet.
- Psyllium grain is a great addition to your dog’s food as it is a great soluble fiber which can help adsorb and retain any moisture – it is not only great for dog diarrhea cures but is also good for constipation in dogs too.
- After a period of time using a simple diet and when the diarrhea has stopped you can start adding a little more protein every week.
- Now start feeding your dog more basic and bland ingredients as they can help with the condition – listed below are some basic ingredients that can be used to feed your dog little and often – up to 5 times a day.
- Cottage cheese (remove the liquid).
- Boiled chicken (flavorings and skin free).
- Egg scrambled (no oil or butter).
- Boiled potatoes
If you have any concerns regarding your dog or puppy take him to the vet immediatly and don’t purchase any over the counter treatments until you have recieved medical advice. If you are after tips on curing this condition in puppies take a look at our section on how to cure puppy diarrhea for more advice.