Training Yorkshire Terriers, Yorkie Poodle, Puppy Potty Training Tips
Training Yorkies has a reputation of being quite hard….
However, if you stick to the task, house training a yorkie puppy can be relatively easy.
Of course puppy potty training a yorkie does have it’s problems and they are certainly not the easiest breed to potty train, however we have provided some free tips on the best methods for housebreaking your furry friend and have also provided a some information on the very popular yorkie poodle mix.
Training Yorkshire Terriers
Fred The Yorkie…
Yorkshire Terriers have received quite a bad press when it comes to dog training especially puppy potty training. However, if basic dog obedience training techniques are used consistently using repetition, encouragement, fairness and positive reinforcement – you will be guarantee succeed in training yorkshire terriers where to poop and pee…
…We don’t say this lightly we say this through experience of seeing the following techniques used successfully. We had a recent case of a yorkie called Fred who constantly pooped and peed not only on the carpet but also when he was on peoples laps….
…The owner Janet was ready to give up of course she had no intention of re-homing Fred she just didn’t know what to do. However, she stuck to the task, even when she thought it wasn’t working and after a while Fred started to ask to go outside now and again….
….Before long he was asking more and more often to go outside to poop and bingo before the owner new it everything had fallen into place. Yes the odd accident did still happen – once every two months or less but this was probably more down to Janet the owner not recognizing the signs when Fred wanted to go out….
…Janet recently contacted us again and Fred is now completely cured and hasn’t peed or pooped in the House for six months…So well done Fred!!
Training Yorkshire Terriers
If you are thinking about getting a Yorkie it maybe worth visiting your local rescue centers as the are more than likely going to have a selection of different yorkies, this is mainly due to…barking and due to the fact that the owner has found it difficult to potty train their yorkie.
Yorkshire Terriers are very keen to learn and they won’t give up until you do so stick to the schedule listed below and you will be successful in house training your yorkie.
House Training Yorkshire Terriers Step by Step…
- Attach a leash to your yorkie – use a body harness as a collar and leash can lead to a tracheal collapse – a common Yorkshire Terrier health problem. By attaching a leash you are in control of your dog and being the pack leader and alpha male.
- Walk outside and place a verbal cue on this – something like ‘Potty Time’ or something else – keep it short and snappy – then walk outside with your dog.
- Walk around the garden and wait for the signs that your dog is about to potty.
- As soon as your dog starts to poop or pee place another cue on it – something like ‘Go Potty’ or ‘Go Poop’ it’s very important that you and the family use the same cue every-time so your dog gets used to the cue.
- As soon as your dog has done his business, give him a treat and lots and lots of praise.
- After he has toileted have some play-time but do this after he has pooped or peed this will make him want to potty first so he gets his play-time and the treat afterwards.
- If you want your dog to potty in a certain amount of time, then only give your dog a certain amount of time to do his business. If you want your dog to potty in five minutes then only give him five minutes. However, dont expect him to potty in five minutes on the Saturday if you give him ten minutes on the Friday!
- If he isn’t doing his business and going to the toilet when you are outside – take him back inside and place him in his crate for 10-15 minutes – he won’t want to potty near his bedding and it will stop him pooping or peeing around the House. After the allotted time in his crate take him outside and try again.
- Be aware and supervise your dog – when training Yorkshire Terriers you need to keep a very close eye on them. When you are unable to supervise your dog, place him in his crate – it isn’t a punishment it’s a training tool.
- Take notes and keep a schedule when your dog normally goes to the toilet – learn to anticipate his every move – he is more likely to want to potty straight after sleeping, eating and drinking so be aware. Don’t ever give up – we guarantee this system will work when training Yorkshire terriers and also other difficult breeds.
If you are still having problems you are more than welcome to ask us a question for free on our dog and puppy questions page, we aim to answer in 24 hours.
- The yorkie poodle is becoming almost as popular as the yorkie shih tzu mix and is often referred to as a Yorkiepoo, Yorkiedoodle, Yorkie-poo or Yorkie Poodle mix etc…the official name that has been accepted by the American Canine Hybrid Club is Yorkie-Poo
- Not surprisingly this mix is a cross between two breeds bred together i.e the Yorkshire Terrier and the Poodle.
- This variety can come in all sorts of colors and tend to have either a curly coat similar to the poodle or slightly wavy.
- The yorkie poodle are good natured and don’t shed very much hair. They love to cuddle and sit on their owner’s laps.